Today was the last day of one of the biggest event weekends at the Walt Disney World Resort. The Disney Marathon Weekend began on January 4th, 2018 and ended this morning with the main event the Walt Disney World®Marathon. Lake Nona Social was present to cover the 25th Anniversary Disney Marathon at Epcot early this morning.
Reported by Silvia Cervi
When we say early, we mean it was very early in the morning! We arrived at Epcot before 3 o’clock in the morning and it was a chilly morning by the way! The temperature was 39ºF.
The sun wasn`t up in the sky yet, but our favorite characters Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald Duck, Pluto, and Dopey were already there waiting for the marathon participants to take official photos of the event with them!
Check it out how cute they were: Swipe left to more on photos
This year, Walt Disney World is celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Walt Disney World® Marathon.
Every step was magic on this 26.2-mile run through all four Walt Disney World® theme parks and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex with plenty of surprises, entertainment and Disney magic along the way.
The first runner’s wave left at 5:30 a.m., which was exclusive for runners with any physical disability and/or special needs with their respective companions. This moment, in my opinion, was super emotional.
In the men’s event, the winner was the American Nicholas Hilton who completed the marathon in 2 hours 17 minutes and 51 seconds.
The second place was captured by Brazilian athlete Vanilson Neves, who last year had also won the second place in two events, the Walt Disney World® Marathon and the Dopey Challenge.
In the women’s division, the Brazilian Giovanna Martins was for the third time winner of the marathon. The athlete had already made history last year by winning the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon. Giovanna was the first woman to win the big half marathon, which both men and women compete together.
The Walt Disney World® Marathon is considered the most magical marathon course on Earth and includes runs through the Magic Kingdom® Park, home of favorite Disney characters, Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Park where wild adventures happen, Disney’s Hollywood Studios® with all its showbiz magic, and Epcot® with its amazing Future World and World Showcase.
Additionally, all the participants receive a special one-of-a-kind 25th Anniversary Walt Disney World® Marathon commemorative finisher medal and a T-shirt to remember the magic!
The following events also happened during the weekend:
– The runDisney Kids Race at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, for child 13 and under;
– The Walt Disney World 5K, in the shadow of Disney’s spectacular Epcot;
– The Walt Disney World® 10K through the beautiful World Showcase and Future World as well as Disney’s spectacular Yacht & Beach Club Resorts and
– The Walt Disney World® Half Marathon through two of Disney’s most beloved theme parks, Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
Latest posts by LakeNonaSocial (see all)
- Rise Pies Pizza Grand Opening on April 27th - April 23, 2018
- Target in Lake Nona Would be a Resident Dream Come True (POLL) - April 23, 2018
- PHIT AMERICA AND USPTA ATTEMPT TO BURN 1 MILLION CALORIES IN LAKE NONA - April 17, 2018